Skip to main content

Jesus Approves the Words of Isaiah

Earlier this year, I did some comparisons of chapters in the Book of Mormon which include quotations from Old Testament prophets (links below).  It is interesting to see what the slight differences are between what we have in the King James Version of the Bible vs what the Nephites had in the brass plates.

Christ with Three Nephite Disciples, by Gary L. Kapp

The reading for the Come, Follow Me curriculum this last week covered 3 Nephi chapters 20-26.  These chapters contain commentary from the Savior on the words of Micah and Isaiah, as well as direct quotations from Isaiah and Malachi.  Chapters 20 and 21 are (I think) the most interesting, as the quotations are interspersed with explanation from Jesus as to how the prophecies refer to the gathering of Israel in the last days.  The other three chapters are nearly quoted verbatim, though I include them here for completions sake.

Here are the links to the comparison pages for each the chapters in 3 Nephi 20-25.  The quotation from chapter 21 starts after Jesus had given the sacrament to the people.

For those who aren't used to diff files, the blue text highlights what is different between the different columns of the same row.

I hope that being able to see the words of Jesus side-by-side with the prophecies of the Old Testament will help you come to understand better the gathering of Israel, and what about it that the Savior thinks is important.  I have really enjoyed studying these chapters this last week.  To me, they reinforce what President Nelson has recently said, that the gathering of Israel is the "most important work on the earth today" (Hope of Israel).


Links to the other comparison studies I have done:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mothers Day 2023

A couple of weeks ago on Mother's Day, I gave a talk in church about how women in the scriptures exemplify attributes of Jesus Christ.  I'd like to share it here so we all can appreciate together the great examples of righteousness we have in the scriptures. In church I had to shorten my talk somewhat, so you could consider the version here the "Director's Cut" :) Growing up I was grateful for my mom, for the same reasons that many young people are - she drove me to school, cooked dinner, and did the laundry.  But there's a lot more to motherhood than doing chores, which I've been learning about in the past few years as I've watched my wife raise our 2 daughters. She sacrifices so much of her free time and personal desires for the benefit of our kids.  I am continually in awe of her selflessness, and will be forever grateful for her. I was asked to speak about "Christlike Attributes shown by women in the scriptures".   With it being Mother

General Conference Review - April 2018

This general conference has been an interesting one, to be sure.  If any of you missed it, you can find the talks here ; I would encourage you to study them.  The things that were taught will certainly provide me with plenty of topics to write about in the coming weeks.  This time I will highlight the three major announcements made, and also summarize the words and admonitions of each of the prophets and apostles. Saturday night Pres. Nelson announced in the priesthood session that the elder's quorum and high priest's groups in each ward will be reorganized into a single elders quorum.  This is to enable greater ministering efforts and streamline the bishop's ability to delegate responsibilities in the ward.  Along with this came the announcement that the only coordination meetings in wards will be with the ward council; Priesthood Executive Committee meetings will no longer take place. This leads very well into the second announcement about ministering.  Pres. Nelson d