Skip to main content

Abinadi Quotes Isaiah

Today I have a short analysis of some of the words of Isaiah, as quoted by Abinadi in the Book of Mormon.

Photo credit: www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media
This coming week in the lesson manual for Come, Follow Me, the assigned reading is Mosiah 11-17 in the Book of Mormon.  Some of these chapters contain the words of the prophet Abinadi, as he spoke to King Noah and his priests.  One of the most notable chapters is when Abinadi recites Isaiah 53 to teach about the coming of the Messiah. 

I believe the chapter is important because the words of Abinadi are arranged similar to a chiasmus: it starts with him teaching that salvation does not come by the law of Moses alone, moves into speaking about the Messiah, then ends with warning about the consequences of not keeping the law of God, including the law of Moses.  Chapters 14 and 15 are the center, as they teach about the nature of the Savior.

Some of you may remember a few weeks back when I wrote about the differences between Isaiah in the Book of Mormon and the Old Testament.  I have prepared some more diff reports using that same program.  Besides the entirety of Mosiah chapter 14, chapters 12 and 15 also contain short passages from Isaiah 52.  Here are the links to each of these comparisons.

Mosiah 12:21-24 vs Isaiah 52:7-10
Mosiah 14 vs Isaiah 53
Mosiah 15:29-31 vs Isaiah 52:8-10

In each case, they are almost identical, with a few differences in punctuation and pluralization.  The interesting difference is in chapter 14, verse 9.

In describing the Messiah, Isaiah says that "he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth."  The way Abinadi quotes it, he says that Jesus "had done no evil" (emphasis mine).

As the prophet Isaiah is known for having multiple, correct interpretations of his sayings, I don't want to interpret this scripture for you.  I believe the Spirit can help each us understand 1) why this chapter was so important for Abinadi to quote to the priests of King Noah, and 2) what this small difference in the text can teach us about the nature of the Savior.

I will leave you with a few cross-references that I think relate to this.


Feel free to discuss this with friends and family, as well as in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In The Garden

As we prepare for Easter Sunday next week, I would like to expand on the work I did last year, by providing another part of the Easter story, compiled from the four Gospels in the New Testament.  This time, it is about Jesus' experience in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I encourage you all to read this in preparation for Easter Sunday, as well as my post from last year , which puts together the story of Jesus rising from the tomb. May the power and love of Christ be and abide in your hearts during these troubled times. Picture credit: Harry Anderson Then cometh Jesus with his disciples to a place which was named Gethsemane, which was a garden; and the disciples began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy, and to complain in their hearts, wondering if this be the Messiah. Matt. 26:36; John 18:1; Mark 14:33 And Jesus knowing their hearts, said to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go yonder and pray. Pray that ye enter not into temptation. Matt. 26:36, Mark...

The Easter Story

About a year ago, I created a version of the Christmas story that combined different accounts of the birth of Christ into one place.  This year I would like to present a similar amalgamation, this time of the story of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, in commemoration of Easter.  The words highlighted in blue represent changes made by the Joseph Smith translation. The story begins with soldiers standing guard at the tomb of Jesus: The First Visit to the Tomb And behold, there had been a great earthquake; for two angel s of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. Matt 28:2 And their countenance was like lightning, and their raiment white as snow; and for fear of them the keepers did shake, and became as though they were dead . Matt 28:3 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulche...

Unexpected Missionary Assignments

Picture credit: www.churchofjesuschrist.org There's no denying that we live in a unique time.  With thousands of missionaries returning to their home countries , and awaiting reassignment I thought it would be a good time to address the subject.  First a story, and then some doctrine. Unmet expectations are the cause of much anxiety in many people, and I don't think anyone was expecting the recent changes.  I myself have never gone through an experience like this.  However, I noticed on the church's website a nice article written by a woman who was evacuated from her mission when the country she was in had a civil war.  I encourage you to read this, as it speaks to current fears much better than I could. To the Unexpectedly Reassigned Missionary I also think it's worth reviewing what Elder Bednar said about missionary service in the April 2017 General Conference. Called to the Work Some excerpts:  - "Please note that the first sentenc...