Skip to main content

In The Garden

As we prepare for Easter Sunday next week, I would like to expand on the work I did last year, by providing another part of the Easter story, compiled from the four Gospels in the New Testament.  This time, it is about Jesus' experience in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I encourage you all to read this in preparation for Easter Sunday, as well as my post from last year, which puts together the story of Jesus rising from the tomb.

May the power and love of Christ be and abide in your hearts during these troubled times.

Picture credit: Harry Anderson

Then cometh Jesus with his disciples to a place which was named Gethsemane, which was a garden; and the disciples began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy, and to complain in their hearts, wondering if this be the Messiah.
Matt. 26:36; John 18:1; Mark 14:33
And Jesus knowing their hearts, said to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go yonder and pray. Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
Matt. 26:36, Mark 14:32, Luke 22:40
And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, James and John, and rebuked them, and said unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death; tarry ye here and watch with me.
Matt. 26:37-38, Mark 14:33-34
And he went forward a little, about a stone's case, and kneeled down, and fell on his face, and prayed that if it were possible the hour might pass from him.
Matt. 26:39, Mark 14:35, Luke 22:41
And he said, O my Father, all things are possible unto thee; if thou be willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless, not my will, but thine, be done.
Matt. 26:39, Mark 14:36, Luke 22:42
And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
Luke 22:43
And being in agony, he prayed more earnestly; and he sweat as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
Luke 22:44
And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping; for they were filled with sorrow;
Luke 22:45
And he said unto Peter, Simon, Why sleepest thou?  What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Matt. 26:40, Mark 14:37, Luke 22:46
Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation.
Matt. 26:41, Mark 14:38, Luke 22:46
And they said unto him, The spirit truly is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Matt. 26:41, Mark 14:38
And again he went away and prayed, and spake the same words, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
Matt. 26:42, Mark 14:39
And when he returned, he found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy; neither knew they what to answer him.
Matt. 26:43, Mark 14:40
And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.
Matt. 26:44
Then cometh he to his disciples the third time, and said unto them, Sleep on now and take rest; it is enough, the hour is come; behold the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
Matt. 26:45, Mark 14:41
And after they had slept, he said unto them, Arise, let us go; lo, he who betrayeth me is at hand.
Matt. 26:46, Mark 14:42
Chronology taken from The Life of the Savior, by Rockshire Publishing

Other scriptures that go with this:
Alma 42:15; Helaman 5:9; Alma 7:11-13; Mosiah 3:7,11; 2 Nephi 9:21-22; Alma 11:40; Alma 21:9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Easter Story

About a year ago, I created a version of the Christmas story that combined different accounts of the birth of Christ into one place.  This year I would like to present a similar amalgamation, this time of the story of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, in commemoration of Easter.  The words highlighted in blue represent changes made by the Joseph Smith translation. The story begins with soldiers standing guard at the tomb of Jesus: The First Visit to the Tomb And behold, there had been a great earthquake; for two angel s of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. Matt 28:2 And their countenance was like lightning, and their raiment white as snow; and for fear of them the keepers did shake, and became as though they were dead . Matt 28:3 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulche...

Mothers Day 2023

A couple of weeks ago on Mother's Day, I gave a talk in church about how women in the scriptures exemplify attributes of Jesus Christ.  I'd like to share it here so we all can appreciate together the great examples of righteousness we have in the scriptures. In church I had to shorten my talk somewhat, so you could consider the version here the "Director's Cut" :) Growing up I was grateful for my mom, for the same reasons that many young people are - she drove me to school, cooked dinner, and did the laundry.  But there's a lot more to motherhood than doing chores, which I've been learning about in the past few years as I've watched my wife raise our 2 daughters. She sacrifices so much of her free time and personal desires for the benefit of our kids.  I am continually in awe of her selflessness, and will be forever grateful for her. I was asked to speak about "Christlike Attributes shown by women in the scriptures".   With it being Mother...