Skip to main content

Spiritual Check-up

A few weeks ago someone in church remarked that it would be nice if we could have a spiritual check-up once in a while; it would be nice to know how we're doing in our standing with God.  Sometimes He is just waiting for us to ask, and he will give us a manifestation, as he did with Joseph Smith.  However, often times it is up to us to take a good look at our lives and make the judgment ourselves.  Even though we may not always be able to get direct feedback from God, we do have some tools available.

The more Christlike attributes we possess, the better off we are.  This is testified to in the scriptures: Jesus said to the Nephites: "what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto, even as I am" (3 Nephi 27:27).  There is a page in Preach My Gospel that is quite helpful in gaining a better understanding of how one is doing developing Christlike qualities.  I used this page multiple times on my mission.  However, in our world of technology, a paper book, or even an electronic picture thereof, may not be so useful.  To help get around that, I edited the pdf version of this page (which can be found at lds.org) to have drop-down lists of scores built in to the page.  This way, instead of trying to keep track of all of these things on your own, the pdf will save what you scored yourself last time so you can track your progress over time.  I would suggest downloading a new copy every time you do this activity.

Christlike Attributes - 1
Christlike Attributes - 2

I made two versions.  The first just has the drop-down lists for scoring, while the second also will tell you your average number in each category.  Not exactly sure how useful that is, but I thought it was kind of cool.

For those wanting more resources for self assessment, Elder Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve recently gave some suggestions.  See the section entitled "Assessing Your Personal Integrity"
Integrity of the Heart

In the Book of Mormon, Alma lists some questions we can ask ourselves on a regular basis to diagnose our spiritual well-being.
Alma 5:14-33

Please also be aware that next Saturday and Sunday, we will have the opportunity to listen to prophets and apostles speak during general conference.  I encourage everyone to make it a priority to watch/listen to the proceedings.  I noticed on lds.org the other day that the church posted a previous conference talk from Elder Andersen explaining the importance of general conference.  I also encourage everyone to read/listen to this before conference.  The miracle of general conference is that you can have your questions answered.



On a different subject, I have been thinking about the frequency of my posts.  Previously I have tried to write every Sunday, but sometimes sickness or other things have kept me from writing.  There may also be times in the future when I want to write about a particular thing, but it will take me more than a week to gather my thoughts.  This begs the question: do I continue to post only on Sundays, or should I post my thoughts as soon as I finish them, even if it is in the middle of the week?  Please send me your thoughts about this.  Do you like having this to read on Sundays, or would it be fine to have spiritual things show up during the week too?  Feel free to comment here or send me a message some other way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In The Garden

As we prepare for Easter Sunday next week, I would like to expand on the work I did last year, by providing another part of the Easter story, compiled from the four Gospels in the New Testament.  This time, it is about Jesus' experience in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I encourage you all to read this in preparation for Easter Sunday, as well as my post from last year , which puts together the story of Jesus rising from the tomb. May the power and love of Christ be and abide in your hearts during these troubled times. Picture credit: Harry Anderson Then cometh Jesus with his disciples to a place which was named Gethsemane, which was a garden; and the disciples began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy, and to complain in their hearts, wondering if this be the Messiah. Matt. 26:36; John 18:1; Mark 14:33 And Jesus knowing their hearts, said to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go yonder and pray. Pray that ye enter not into temptation. Matt. 26:36, Mark...

The Easter Story

About a year ago, I created a version of the Christmas story that combined different accounts of the birth of Christ into one place.  This year I would like to present a similar amalgamation, this time of the story of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, in commemoration of Easter.  The words highlighted in blue represent changes made by the Joseph Smith translation. The story begins with soldiers standing guard at the tomb of Jesus: The First Visit to the Tomb And behold, there had been a great earthquake; for two angel s of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. Matt 28:2 And their countenance was like lightning, and their raiment white as snow; and for fear of them the keepers did shake, and became as though they were dead . Matt 28:3 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulche...

Mothers Day 2023

A couple of weeks ago on Mother's Day, I gave a talk in church about how women in the scriptures exemplify attributes of Jesus Christ.  I'd like to share it here so we all can appreciate together the great examples of righteousness we have in the scriptures. In church I had to shorten my talk somewhat, so you could consider the version here the "Director's Cut" :) Growing up I was grateful for my mom, for the same reasons that many young people are - she drove me to school, cooked dinner, and did the laundry.  But there's a lot more to motherhood than doing chores, which I've been learning about in the past few years as I've watched my wife raise our 2 daughters. She sacrifices so much of her free time and personal desires for the benefit of our kids.  I am continually in awe of her selflessness, and will be forever grateful for her. I was asked to speak about "Christlike Attributes shown by women in the scriptures".   With it being Mother...