Skip to main content

Making the Scriptures Come Alive

Recently in my study of the Book of Mormon I read Alma chapter 30.  In this chapter, Alma, the high priest of the Nephites, faces off against Korihor, an influential anti-Christ.  This time in my reading through of the Book of Mormon I have been reading it out loud.  It was quite engaging reading the different parts of the chapter.  I started to kind of take on the mannerisms I thought Alma and Korihor might have.  I thought, "more people should do this kind of thing because it's so much fun."

Then I remembered that there is a study suggestion in Preach My Gospel very similar to what I had been doing.  In the back of Chapter 5 there is an activity that says to read Alma 11-14 with one companion acting as Alma/Amulek, and the other companion as the detractors.  "Why can't this apply to more scripture passages?" I thought. 

It is somewhat difficult to find sections of dialogue that will be engaging for people to read, since most of scripture is either narrative history or a single person preaching.  But there are some accounts of conversations, and in some cases confrontations, that we can reference.  For today, I have chosen to select one from each of the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and the New Testament.

Alma vs Korihor (Alma 30)
Moses' Vision (Moses 1)
Jesus vs Pharisees (Matt. 22)

My hope is that these will provide an exciting way to study the scriptures with friends and family.  I have a few more that I would like to create in the future, but I am open to suggestions.  Please send me a message/comment if these are helpful and if you would like a specific story formatted in this way.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In The Garden

As we prepare for Easter Sunday next week, I would like to expand on the work I did last year, by providing another part of the Easter story, compiled from the four Gospels in the New Testament.  This time, it is about Jesus' experience in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I encourage you all to read this in preparation for Easter Sunday, as well as my post from last year , which puts together the story of Jesus rising from the tomb. May the power and love of Christ be and abide in your hearts during these troubled times. Picture credit: Harry Anderson Then cometh Jesus with his disciples to a place which was named Gethsemane, which was a garden; and the disciples began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy, and to complain in their hearts, wondering if this be the Messiah. Matt. 26:36; John 18:1; Mark 14:33 And Jesus knowing their hearts, said to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go yonder and pray. Pray that ye enter not into temptation. Matt. 26:36, Mark...

The Easter Story

About a year ago, I created a version of the Christmas story that combined different accounts of the birth of Christ into one place.  This year I would like to present a similar amalgamation, this time of the story of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, in commemoration of Easter.  The words highlighted in blue represent changes made by the Joseph Smith translation. The story begins with soldiers standing guard at the tomb of Jesus: The First Visit to the Tomb And behold, there had been a great earthquake; for two angel s of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. Matt 28:2 And their countenance was like lightning, and their raiment white as snow; and for fear of them the keepers did shake, and became as though they were dead . Matt 28:3 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulche...

Mothers Day 2023

A couple of weeks ago on Mother's Day, I gave a talk in church about how women in the scriptures exemplify attributes of Jesus Christ.  I'd like to share it here so we all can appreciate together the great examples of righteousness we have in the scriptures. In church I had to shorten my talk somewhat, so you could consider the version here the "Director's Cut" :) Growing up I was grateful for my mom, for the same reasons that many young people are - she drove me to school, cooked dinner, and did the laundry.  But there's a lot more to motherhood than doing chores, which I've been learning about in the past few years as I've watched my wife raise our 2 daughters. She sacrifices so much of her free time and personal desires for the benefit of our kids.  I am continually in awe of her selflessness, and will be forever grateful for her. I was asked to speak about "Christlike Attributes shown by women in the scriptures".   With it being Mother...